Apr 19, 23
Air Bags Vs RAS® RoadActive Suspension for Truck Squat?
When it comes to heavy loads, truck owners are all too familiar with the problem of truck squat. The added weight of cargo, equipment, or a trailer can cause the back end of the truck to sag, resulting in poor handling, decreased fuel efficiency, and potential safety risks even while still within factory payload specifications. There are several solutions available on the market, including air bags and RAS® RoadActive Suspension. Let's take a closer look at each and help you make an informed decision.
Air bags work by using compressed air, which is stored in a small tank or reservoir, to inflate the air bags and raise the truck's rear end to a more level position. Air bags are available in both single and double convoluted designs, and allow for adjustments to be made to the air pressure to fine-tune the level of support provided. Air bag setups without the extra accessories such as on-board compressor are much less expensive but are also much less convenient. Adding the convenience options of on-board or bluetooth controlling make life easier, but can triple the price and still require a maintenance schedule.
- Can keep nearly any load perfectly level
- Can be adjusted to compensate for different loads
- Can be prone to leaks or punctures, especially if the bags come into contact with sharp objects or debris on the road
- Require ongoing maintenance to ensure optimal performance & warranty
- More expensive than other suspension upgrades when adding full setup
- Hurts weight distribution as it places more weight onto the the rear axle than factory
- Additional parts for full adjustability can be very expensive
RAS® RoadActive Suspension
RAS® RoadActive Suspension is a patented mechanical suspension system that is designed to provide the ultimate in load carrying and towing performance. RAS® works by adding a bolt-on tension coil spring to the leaf spring that engages load more evenly across the entire suspension system, resulting in a more level stance and better handling. The system has a range of adjustability on the initial tension, adjusts automatically based on the load and can be installed on most trucks with leaf spring suspension.
- Provides a more stable ride than air bags -- all the time
- Better job reducing body roll and improves handling at all times
- Better at reducing bounce and rebound
- Provides same as or better than stock unloaded ride and handling
- Can be, but doesn't need to be adjusted to accommodate different loads
- Fit and forget. Does not require ongoing maintenance or adjustments
- Not recommend for applications where truck is overloaded
- Not recommended for extremely 1 ton commercial heavy hauler applications
- Does not fit trucks with coil spring suspension
Which is the Better Option?
When it comes to choosing between air bags and RAS® RoadActive Suspension, there are several factors to consider. If you're at or over your payload capacity or maxing out your 1 ton dually with extremely heavy loads, the air bag setup will be the best rout. However, if you're within payload capacity but looking for an affordable, seamless solution that provides the ultimate in load carrying and towing performance, then RAS® will be the way to go.
Ultimately, the decision comes down to your individual needs and budget. Whichever option you choose, be sure to do your research and choose a reputable brand that offers a warranty and good customer support.
Ready For Added Strength?
Order your Active Suspension Kit today and join thousands of our customers who experience a safer, smoother, and more stable ride.Find my kit